Dispute Resolution & Restructuring
AKL has a highly regarded Dispute Resolution and Restructuring Practice. Led by Constantine Alexiou and Sotiris Foteas, the team has considerable experience, working through any type of dispute resolution forum, whether traditional court litigation, arbitration or other alternative methods.
The team has significant experience in a range of sectors, in particular real estate dispute resolution, commercial and banking disputes, civil relations, construction claims in public and private works, enforcement and restructuring (insolvency and pre-insolvency) facilities. In every case we work hard to defend our client’s interests, assessing all viable options and recommending the best available solutions.
In our work we always prioritise and focus on the evidence, but we do not disregard finding creative solutions for our clients. We advise and negotiate proactively to prevent costly court proceedings when possible but preparing at the same time a viable strategy for potential litigation.
While our primary focus is always on the legal issues involved in any dispute, the hallmark of our service is our understanding and appreciation of the wider financial and commercial considerations our client is facing. We balance these different aspects to achieve the best outcome for our clients.
- AKL represents major Greek Banks and their NPL successors (funds and Greek servicers of L. 4354/2015) in their capacity as Bondholders of a secured 300 mio Euros bond loan in various court proceedings against the issuer, following termination of the loan and commencement of enforcement over the secured assets (mortgaged luxury hospitality units and shares of the involved entities).
- AKL represented the applicant creditors for the placement of a major Greek shipbuilding industry under the regime of “special administration” (L. 4307/2014) and the Special Administrator in court proceedings for the extension of the duration. The procedure is considered by the Hellenic Republic and the European Commission as sufficient means for the fulfillment of the obligation of refund of unlawful State Aid granted to the entity.
- AKL represented the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund (HRADF) before the Greek Court of Auditors in proceedings entailing the precontractual monitoring of the privatization of Piraeus Port Authority.
- AKL represents major Greek Banks and their NPL successors (funds and Greek servicers of L. 4354/2015) in their capacity as Bondholders of a secured EUR 33 million bond loan in various court proceedings against the issuer, following termination of the loan and commencement of enforcement over the secured assets (mortgaged non-completed unit of medical care).
- AKL represents an international luxury brand in court proceedings against Greek distributors.
- AKL represents a construction group in proceedings before the Greek administrative courts regarding claims of an overall amount of EUR 600 million arising from public works.
- AKL represents the Greek Servicer of a major foreign NPL successor in court (enforcement and other) proceedings against various debtors.
Legal 500 2020
"Very punctual in meeting deadlines and very good knowledge of local financing market."
"Fast, personal contact, industrious problem solving."
Restructuring & Insolvency:
"Hands on partners; our interaction was with partners directly, which shows that AKL does not assign junior staff to do the work and have partners available only for meetings."
"Quick and insightful responses, strategic approach, focus on efficiency and quality."