Banking & Finance
AKL’s Banking and Finance practice has been growing and developing consistently over the past decade and is now widely recognised for its ability to handle large, complex and high-value transactions. Our growth has been driven by our dedication to deliver high quality legal services, our commitment to produce innovative and workable solutions, and our determination to tackle even the most demanding challenges.
Our dedicated Banking and Finance team is led by Alexandros Kosmopoulos and strengthened by George Zohios, both recognized experts in their field.
Our Banking & Finance Team acts for an extensive array of international and domestic clients and has enviable experience in a range of key sectors, including corporate finance, acquisition finance and project finance (including infrastructure, real estate, energy finance and PPPs), capital markets, NPLs, investment funds, and regulatory compliance.
The team also has significant experience dealing with cross-border transactions, often acting alongside leading international law firms.
- AKL is acting for the mandated lead arrangers in respect of the Hellinikon senior project financing and associated facilities, one of Greece’s largest project financings ever (€1.5 billion).
- Advising an international investor on restructuring its position under a €1.1 billion NPL securitization with a Greek bank as originator.
- Advising a major Greek REIC in restructuring its bank debt.
- Advising a syndicate of Greek banks on an emergency liquidity facility for a leading hospitality group in response to the Covid19 pandemic.
- Representing the lenders in respect of the financing of the acquisition of two entities in the aquaculture industry, three entities in the renewable energy sector, one entity in the logistics sector (all in 2020).
- Advising a private equity fund on the acquisition of a portfolio of non-performing loans booked with non-Greek banks and secured on Greek hospitality assets.
- Advising syndicates of banks on syndicated senior loans to corporate borrowers in various industries (including food and beverage, manufacturing, energy, cosmetics) in excess of €1 billion in 2020.
- Advising two systemically important banks in respect of their arrangement with the EIB under a framework lending scheme.
Legal 500 2020:
"I found them to be experienced, responsive, knowledgeable and honest. Whilst working with AK, I felt as though our situation was in adept and trustworthy hands. I would highly recommend AK to anyone seeking representation that is fair, honest and which will keep your best interest and unique needs at the forefront. I would not hesitate to seek representation from AK again."
"Wonderful representatives with calm preparedness during lengthy and tenacious negotiation processes. I so appreciated their knowledge, calming presence, and polite and respectful attitude. They have helped us to stay focused on the larger picture, and worked on our case(s) in a caring and timely manner."
"They have represented us in the most professional manner, their ethics are of the highest standards. Their friendship, courtesy, knowledge and honesty have become very important to us during the last ten years."
"In unvarnished truth they will tell you exactly where you stand and what direction you should go. They will cut out the frivolous fluff that so many clients want to vent about."
"Impressive practice acting for banks and borrowers on finance and refinancing matters, including complex loan agreements and structured finance mandates. Particularly noted for its expertise in the issuance and restructuring of bond loans. Offers considerable experience in project and real estate finance deals, often involving the hotel and hospitality sector. Also knowledgeable in working capital facilities. Additionally handles loan portfolio transactions."
A client notes the team's "high-quality services, great communication skills and very efficient response times."
Another client highlights the lawyers' "good commercial understanding of complex transactions, quick turnaround of documents, helpful advice on solutions and good rapport with the counterparty."
"A strong banking firm which is often mandated by leading Greek banks and financial institutions".